IBM 1410 ALD to FPGA – I “got one”

I have been testing the logic generated from each Automated Logic Diagram (ALD) page, using the Instructional Logic Diagrams (ILD) were available to guide my testing. Until today I don’t recall finding any cases where I actually made a connection mistake when I entered the ALDs into the database – until today. On page 13.50.01.1, I had mis-substituted signal “-S I-O Lozenge Latch” where I should have had “+S Logic Gate E 1” as the input to the gate at coordinate 5H. The testing caught it.

When I entered data for each sheet, I tracked usage of each signal count. I had a “2” written next to “+S Logic Gate E1” — as I should have. I must have missed that when I checked the signal usage counts after entry (“-S I-O Lozenge Latch” had the two instead). The latter is right below the former on the left side of the ALD, which made the mistake not unlikely, and made it easier to mis-interpret where I had written the signal count of 2. I even circled the 2, meaning I checked it. Oops.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *