I put together this little page to contain information on the MT Dungeon. Currently is it not linked (you have to know the URL), but that may change.
- The Hitchhiker Player’s Guide to Foundry VTT – an intro to FVTT that explains the basic menu structure, character movement, tokens and the like for beginning players. Please read this guide before attending basic training.
- Getting Started in the MT Dungeon – A Player’s Guide. A guide to creating a character and character sheets. You should read this guide before creating a character. The first part of the document is similar to this page.
- The D&D 5e System Reference Document (SRD)
- I found a good general character sheet explanation at https://olddungeonmaster.com/2015/02/14/dd-5e-character-sheet-instructions/
- The Foundry VTT Demo server can be found at https://demo.foundryvtt.com/join . The Access key is “foundry”.
- NEW 8/12/2020: YouTube video “Everything Players NEED to Know” (about the Foundry VTT User Interface). Decent, but it goes by pretty fast.
Here you will find synopses of the group’s trek through the MT Dungeon worlds.
D&D is an enormous game, in terms of rules and everything that can be done – it tends to be overwhelming. Certainly your DM does not know all the rules, and will make mistakes. It’s OK: the idea is to have FUN.
The fundamental rules are available in a couple of forms:
- The D&D Fifth Edition (D&D5e) Systems Reference Document (“SRD”), available at http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf For now, this will be our arbiter for questions about rules. But that will change if/when your DM signs on to D&D Beyond with full privileges, giving access to the full materials, in which case the actual Wizard of the Coasts books (in electronic form) will be the rules we use. The material from pages 56 through 98 may be the most helpful for a basic understanding.
- The D&D Basic Rules are a little less intimidating, and should work fine for things like creating a character, and is perhaps a better place to start for some. http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DnD_BasicRules_2018.pdf
- Disclaimer: Your DM is going to get stuff wrong. If you spot something during the session feel free to mention it, and if appropriate we’ll correct it on the spot. If you spot something post-session, send me an e-mail so I can learn from my mistakes, and we’ll correct what we can. Hopefully none of them will be fatal for your character. 😉
The commercial website D&D Beyond (https://www.dndbeyond.com/ ) is a fantastic resource, and I recommend signing up, at least at the free level.
- I have created a campaign there called “The MT Dungeon” (I dropped the “- Testing”). I have provided a link in email and will do so again when I release this document – I don’t want to put it in the document itself.
- You can create (“roll up”) a character (more on that below), and then have it join my campaign. By so doing you enable me to download it for you into Foundry VTT
- If and when I purchase content there and subscribe at the “Master Tier” then anyone who joins my campaign on D&D Beyond will be able to see those materials – even those who do not themselves subscribe.
- They have a couple of mobile device “apps” – one is a searchable compendium reference to the basic rules (called D&D Beyond in the app store. I recommend installing the app and downloading the Basic Rules into it. ) [Note: Please DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR LOOK AT “FROZEN SICK” as it contains spoilers!].
- The other app is called “DDB Player” and provides ways of accessing characters you may have, or creating new ones.